What is retargeting?
Online advertising has such a factor as conversion. It informs website owners of how many users conduct certain target actions for a certain period. It can be referred to ordering, purchasing, filling out of surveys, clickthrough, etc. According to E-xecutive Business Wikipedia, a total conversion rate of Internet resources is pretty low: only 2% of website visitors perform similar actions during their first session.
In this case, the majority of online shops would be simply unprofitable. But it is retargeting or remarketing that comes to the rescue of businesspeople. It means a mechanism returning customers to the website they have already visited and made an inquiry but haven’t bought anything. Entering another page, people will see advertising reminding them of a previously searched product. This method stirs up their interest.
The main types of retargeting
- Search retargeting: advertising is aimed at a large audience depending on users’ browser requests. The system selects classified ads that can be shown in the search engine for a long period. It can be also referred to product retargeting where advertising is based on the search for certain goods or services.
- Behavioral retargeting is designed for guests of certain websites. Ads are made for all users: visitors of determined sections, those choosing a product without buying, and people making a purchase. In the latter, customers can see ads of related accessories.
- Mobile retargeting covers mobile app users.
Remarketing can be divided into static and dynamic in terms of audience analysis methods.
- A static one consists of any commonly available users’ information. The system explores data on people in order to show them further advertising of goods that can be theoretically useful to them.
- A dynamic one is based on the examination of actions and queries of visitors on a given website.
As to ad impression options, retargeting can be subdivided into:
Retargeting operational concept
The retargeting operational mechanism is the following: guests enter a website, make a request, click on goods or services, and follow links. All these actions are saved in cookies, small text files partially uploaded in a browser. The website leaves a portion of the code, a kind of indicator, which is recognized by other web platforms. The system remembers what users have been interested in, while advertisers find out about their preferences and prepare individual content.
What is retargeting pixel?
How to make retargeting
Initially, Internet resource owners generate a pixel code in special software. Then the code is copied and pasted in the website manually using a webmaster or services like Google Tag Manager. Afterwards, one should choose in a dialog box what visitors’ manipulations (conversion) will be monitored, and ad content is based on this.
Concept of social media retargeting
Retargeting as a tool is supported by such websites as Vkontakte, Facebook, Odnoklassniki, and Moy Mir. Developers have integrated these social networks with advertising accounts allowing to generate and adjust a monitoring pixel. Advertisers can determine characteristics for user marking and segmenting on their own. It is always aimed at warm customers as retargeting focuses on those who have already visited some website while searching for certain goods or services.
When users return to a website, its conversion increases. Therefore, the brand reputation is confirmed. It is important to remember that the results are not shown immediately. At the same time, long-term advertising campaigns can steadily run in consumers’ head.
Experts will tell more about retargeting at Minsk iGaming Affiliate Conference.